Thibodaux Regional Timeline
The timeline of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is a guided tour of our history, from the city’s first hospital in 1929, to the award winning medical center 82 years later. Click on a period below to read more.
The dream of a hospital in Thibodaux became a reality in 1929 when St. Joseph Hospital was born. The 26-bed hospital was opened in an old rectory building on 690 East First Street. The new hospital officially opened its doors to the sick of Lafourche and the surrounding parishes on January 19, 1930. Rev. Monsignor Alexandre M. Barbier, Dr. J.L. Danos and Dr. Theo Beatrous were instrumental in the development of the hospital.
Due to increased census, a new building was built on the site of St. Joseph Hospital. The new 40-bed hospital opened its doors on January 27, 1953. The new hospital went under the leadership of the Catholic Sisters of Mount Carmel.
The first Mount Carmel Sisters to staff St. Joseph Hospital were, from left, Sister Joseph Francis, Sister Bertha, Mother Irene, the administrator, Sister Eucharia and Sister Ignatius.
Through the assistance of Harvey Peltier, the hospital raised enough money to construct a two-story, 60-bed addition to the hospital due to increased need for space. St. Joseph Hospital took on a new look since the addition was onto the front of the building.
The Intensive Care Unit, which became a new service in 1973, featured 24-hour intensive nursing care in a five bed unit. Patients were constantly monitored with special electronic equipment.
It became apparent that additional beds and improved supportive services were needed to care for this growing community. On April 14, 1975, St. Joseph Hospital closed its doors and a new hospital was born.
Thibodaux General Hospital, a new $4.75 million facility, opened its doors on April 14, 1975 at 602 North Acadia Road. This 4-story, 101-bed hospital treated a total of 5500 patients in its first year.
Thibodaux General became the first hospital in the area to install Ultrasound technology. It was made available through private donations.
Thibodaux General installs a C-Arm in the surgical department. This equipment enabled surgeons to save time and reduce potential infections.
Thibodaux Hospital opened the Women's Center on the 3rd floor, consisting of a C-Section suite and LDRP rooms (Labor, Delivery, Recovery, Post-Partum).
The Regional Cancer Center of Thibodaux Hospital opened and was dedicated on October 6 with state-of-the-art radiation and chemotherapy services, education and support services.
Thibodaux Hospital performed its first open heart surgery, taking the facility to the next level of comprehensive cardiovascular care.
The name of the hospital officially became Thibodaux Regional Medical Center to reflect the holistic care provided by the facility. In May, the Outpatient Rehabilitation Center was opened, and on December 9, the first patients were seen in the Medical Mall, the newly constructed outpatient medical and surgical center. It was at this time that Thibodaux Regional entered a new millennium of health care, and today the facility is constantly growing and changing to meet the needs of those we serve.
Thibodaux Regional receives an award from Rod Ganey, Ph.D., president and co-founder of Press, Ganey Associates, the nation’s leading patient satisfaction survey company for achieving and maintaining its rank in the top 1% in the country in terms of patient satisfaction.
Thibodaux Regional doubled the size of its regional Cancer Center Radiation Therapy Services. The addition features IMRT, the most advanced radiation therapy technology available anywhere today.
Thibodaux Regional broke ground for a $100 million expansion/renovation project. The project includes a new inpatient bed tower with all private rooms and decentralized nursing areas, expansion of the emergency department, a heart and vascular center, an expanded women’s center, a five-story medical office building, a four-story parking garage, a state-of-the-art culinary facility, a breast imaging center and a distinctive new main entrance.
Five-story Medical Office Building opens adjacent to the hospital as well as the state-of-the-art Heart & Vascular Center, new Women’s Center and Inpatient Bed Tower.
Thibodaux Regional earns the distinguished Summit Award for sustaining the highest levels of patient satisfaction.
Cancer Program earns Accreditatation with Commendation and the distinguished Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
Cancer Center acquires state-of-the-art Trilogy Radiation Therapy System. This powerful machine provides three forms of cancer treatment - IGRT, IMRT, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery. The Trilogy allows us to treat more types of cancer with greater precision, in less time, and with fewer side effects.
Thibodaux Regional acquires the pioneering daVinci Robotic Surgical System for prostate cancer surgery and hysterectomy. The revolutionary, new robotic system enhances the surgeon’s capabilities and allows surgeons to perform complex surgeries through tiny surgical openings. Thibodaux Regional is one of only a few hospitals in the area using the daVinci™ Surgical System.
Thibodaux Regional is recognized for providing “An Outstanding Patient Experience” by J.D. Power and Associates Distinguished Hospital Program. Thibodaux Regional is one of the elite few in the country and the first hospital in Lousiana to receive this honor.
Completed Cancer Center expansion and renovation project doubles the size of the medical oncology suite and chemotherapy infusion area further enhancing our capabilities to better serve patients.
Cancer program again earns re-accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and receives the College's Outstanding Achievement Award for the second time.
Thibodaux Regional is awarded the Cleverley and Associates Community Value Index Five-Star Award. This distinction measures the value that a hospital provides to the community it serves. Thibodaux Regional earned the highest rating, acknowledging their ability to offer superior value by consistently providing quality care and service at a reasonable cost while reinvesting back into facilities, technology and the community.
Thibodaux Regional completes the South Hospital Project, the third phase of a five-year $100 million, 281,000 square foot, multi-phase expansion and renovation project, which includes $30 million of additional new technology. The South Hospital Project phase included expansion of the Emergency Department, Kitchen and Dining Facility, and Gift Shop as well as the hospital's Front Entrance.