The historical background of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is a demonstration of devoted commitment to provide hospital services, for over 80 years.
St. Joseph Hospital was a dream that became a reality in 1929 when Drs. J.L. Danos and Theo Beatrous decided that Thibodaux was in need of a sanitarium to care for the sick. A home on East Second Street was donated by Miss Fanny Knobloch for use as a hospital. However, the residential nature of the property caused conflict among the neighbors and that property was exchanged for property owned by the Catholic Church at 690 East First Street. The estimated cost of the conversion of the building from a rectory to a hospital was $500, all of which was paid for by donations. Rev. Monsignor Alexandre M. Barbier, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church, was a key figure of the establishment of the hospital. The new 26-bed St. Joseph Hospital opened its doors to the sick of Lafourche and the surrounding parishes on January 19, 1930.
St. Joseph Hospital fulfilled a great need which was obvious by its quick need for growth and expansion. The hospital went through several expansions and even the building of a new facility at the same location to increase capacity. In 1967, after the hospital was first accredited by the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals, a plan for a public hospital evolved and Hospital Service District No. 3 was formed. On April 14, 1975, St. Joseph Hospital closed its doors and the new 101-bed Thibodaux General Hospital opened on 602 North Acadia Road. Since its opening in 1975, Thibodaux General Hospital also has grown and prospered. Throughout the years, the hospital expanded not only in physical size, but also in the size of the medical staff and services offered to the people of Lafourche and the surrounding region.
Today, Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is a 185-bed regional medical center, offering highly specialized services such as Heart Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Pulmonology, Orthopedics, Obstetrics, and Inpatient & Outpatient Physical Rehabilitation services. The Medical Center has over 900 employees, 111 active staff physicians, 56 courtesy physicians, 16 consulting physicians, 16 emergency medicine physicians, 13 associate physicians and 14 honorary physicians.
In October 2008, Thibodaux Regional launched the third phase of $100M facility expansion and renovation project. This expansion further increases our ability to provide high quality, compassionate care, and will create a state-of-the-art healing environment.