Thibodaux Regional Medical Center Timeline

Nearly 90 Years of Outstanding Medical Services in Lafourche Parish

The timeline of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is a guided tour of our history, from the city’s first hospital in 1929, to the award winning medical center as it exists today.

  • 1929

    The dream of a hospital in Thibodaux became a reality in 1929 when St. Joseph Hospital was born. The 26-bed hospital was opened in an old rectory building on East First Street, and officially opened its doors on January 19, 1930. Rev. Monsignor Alexandre M. Barbier and Drs. J.L. Danos and Theo Beatrous were instrumental in the hospital’s development.

  • 1953

    Due to increased census, a new building was built on the site of St. Joseph Hospital. The new 40-bed hospital opened its doors on January 27, 1953. The new hospital went under the leadership of the Catholic Sisters of Mount Carmel.

  • 1953

    The first Mount Carmel Sisters to staff St. Joseph Hospital were, from left, Sister Joseph Francis, Sister Bertha, Mother Irene, the administrator, Sister Eucharia and Sister Ignatius.

  • 1961

    Through the assistance of Harvey Peltier, the hospital raised enough money to construct a two-story, 60-bed addition to the hospital due to increased need for space. St. Joseph Hospital took on a new look since the addition was onto the front of the building.

  • 1973

    The Intensive Care Unit, which became a new service in 1973, featured 24-hour intensive nursing care in a five bed unit. Patients were constantly monitored with special electronic equipment.

  • 1975

    It became apparent that additional beds and improved supportive services were needed to care for this growing community. On April 14, 1975, St. Joseph Hospital closed its doors and a new hospital was born.

  • 1975

    Thibodaux General Hospital, a new $4.75 million facility, opened its doors on April 14, 1975 at 602 North Acadia Road. This 4-story, 101-bed hospital treated a total of 5500 patients in its first year.

  • 1978

    Thibodaux General became the first hospital in the area to install Ultrasound technology. It was made available through private donations.

  • 1983

    Thibodaux General installs a C-Arm in the surgical department. This equipment enabled surgeons to save time and reduce potential infections.

  • 1991

    Thibodaux Hospital opened the Women's Center on the 3rd floor, consisting of a C-Section suite and LDRP rooms (Labor, Delivery, Recovery, and Post-Partum).

  • 1994

    The Regional Cancer Center of Thibodaux Hospital opened and was dedicated on October 6 with state-of-the-art radiation and chemotherapy services, education and support services.

  • 1995

    Thibodaux Hospital performed its first open heart surgery, taking the facility to the next level of comprehensive cardiovascular care.

  • 1996

    The name of the hospital officially became Thibodaux Regional Medical Center to reflect the holistic care provided by the facility. In May, the Outpatient Rehabilitation Center was opened, and on December 9, the first patients were seen in the Medical Mall, the newly constructed outpatient medical and surgical center.

  • 2001

    Thibodaux Regional receives an award from Rod Ganey, Ph.D., president and co-founder of Press, Ganey Associates, and the nation’s leading patient satisfaction survey company for achieving and maintaining its rank in the top 1% in the country in terms of patient satisfaction.

  • 2003

    Thibodaux Regional doubled the size of its regional Cancer Center Radiation Therapy Services. The addition features IMRT, the most advanced radiation therapy technology available anywhere today.

  • 2005

    Thibodaux Regional broke ground for a $100 million expansion/renovation project. The project includes a new inpatient bed tower, expansion of the emergency department, a heart and vascular center, an expanded women’s center, a five-story medical office building, a four-story parking garage, a state-of-the-art culinary facility, and a distinctive new main entrance.

  • 2006

    Five-story Medical Office Building opens adjacent to the hospital as well as the state-of-the-art Heart & Vascular Center, new Women’s Center and Inpatient Bed Tower.

  • 2006

    Thibodaux Regional earns the distinguished Summit Award for sustaining the highest levels of patient satisfaction.

  • 2006

    Cancer Program earns Accreditation with Commendation and the distinguished Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.

  • 2007

    Cancer Center acquires state-of-the-art Trilogy Radiation Therapy System. This powerful machine provides three forms of cancer treatment - IGRT, IMRT, and Stereotactic Radiosurgery. The Trilogy allows us to treat more types of cancer with greater precision, in less time, and with fewer side effects.

  • 2007

    Thibodaux Regional acquires the pioneering daVinci Robotic Surgical System for prostate cancer surgery and hysterectomy. The revolutionary, new robotic system enhances the surgeon’s capabilities and allows surgeons to perform complex surgeries through tiny surgical openings. Thibodaux Regional is one of only a few hospitals in the area using the daVinci™ Surgical System.

  • 2008

    Thibodaux Regional is recognized for providing “An Outstanding Patient Experience” by J.D. Power and Associates Distinguished Hospital Program. Thibodaux Regional is one of the elite few in the country and the first hospital in Lousiana to receive this honor.

  • 2009

    Completed Cancer Center expansion and renovation project doubles the size of the medical oncology suite and chemotherapy infusion area further enhancing our capabilities to better serve patients.Cancer program again earns re-accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and receives the College's Outstanding Achievement Award for the second time.

  • 2009

    Thibodaux Regional is awarded the Cleverley and Associates Community Value Index Five-Star Award. Thibodaux Regional earned the highest rating, acknowledging their ability to offer superior value by consistently providing quality care and service at a reasonable cost while reinvesting back into facilities, technology and the community.

  • 2010

    Thibodaux Regional completes the South Hospital Project, the third phase of a five-year $100 million, multi-phase expansion and renovation project, which includes $30 million of additional new technology. The South Hospital Project phase included expansion of the Emergency Department, Kitchen and Dining Facility, and Gift Shop as well as the hospital's Front Entrance.

  • 2013

    Announced partnership with Cardiovascular Institute of the South (CIS) focusing on a higher level of commitment to provide leading cardiovascular health care to the region. Through this partnership, CIS will work collaboratively with Thibodaux Regional on cardiovascular related services to achieve the highest possible outcomes in clinical care, patient satisfaction, and efficiency.

  • 2014

    Thibodaux Regional broke ground marking the start of construction on the 242,000 square foot medically-integrated Wellness Center. The state-of-the-art Center will be the first of its kind in the state, and is designed to improve the health and well-being of the region through prevention, fitness, education, rehabilitation, and focused sports and wellness services.

  • 2014

    Thibodaux Regional partners with Nicholls Athletics designating the hospital as the official sports medicine provider of Nicholls Athletics.

  • 2015

    Cancer program again earns re-accreditation with Gold Level Commendation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and receives the College's Outstanding Achievement Award for the fourth consecutive three-year period.

  • 2016

    Thibodaux Regional’s Wellness Center opens representing a significant investment in the health and wellness of the Bayou Region. Hundreds gathered with Thibodaux Regional Board of Commissioners, staff, and physicians as well as special guests Governor John Bel Edwards, U.S. Senator Cassidy, Congressman Graves, and other local and state officials to mark the momentous occasion.

  • 2017

    Thibodaux Regional announced plans to construct Phase 2 of the Wellness Center. Phase 2 will be constructed behind the Wellness Center on the North Entrance side encompassing 17 acres of land, and will feature tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, a football/multipurpose field, an 8-lane track, Pavilion, restrooms, concession area, play area and spray park for young children.

  • 2017

    Awarded the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award and the Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Thibodaux Regional is the only hospital in Louisiana to achieve these awards four years in a row.

  • 1929
  • 1953
  • 1953
  • 1961
  • 1973
  • 1975
  • 1975
  • 1978
  • 1983
  • 1991
  • 1994
  • 1995
  • 1996
  • 2001
  • 2003
  • 2005
  • 2006
  • 2006
  • 2006
  • 2007
  • 2007
  • 2008
  • 2009
  • 2009
  • 2010
  • 2013
  • 2014
  • 2014
  • 2015
  • 2016
  • 2017
  • 2017