Cancer Screening Information
Your Best Defense Against Cancer
Cancer can be a fatal disease, but you have the power to beat it. To protect
yourself against cancer or detect the disease in the early, most treatable
stages, it is important to receive regular screenings.
In addition to these solutions, Thibodaux Regional provides a wide range
of cancer detection and prevention screenings throughout the community
and is a major source for cancer education and information. We also make
available social workers who can assist with financial and emotional concerns.
Smoking causes cancer and other health issues. Quitting tobacco is not
easy, but it is the most important thing that you can do for your health.
When you quit smoking, you begin to enjoy health benefits immediately.
Thibodaux Regional's smoking cessation program, “Quit Smoking
for Life” can help you find the best way to quit. Click
here to learn more.
Regular Screenings Available through the Cancer Center:
- All women beginning at age 40, or as recommended by your physician if you
have a family history of breast cancer
- Annually or as recommended by your physician
- Pap Smear
- All women beginning at age 18 or when sexually active
- Recommended by physician
- Digital rectal exam
- All men age 50 and older, or as recommended by your physician if you have
a family history of cancer
- Every 10 years or as recommended by your physician
- Men and women age 50 and older, or as recommended by your physician if
you have a family history of cancer
Lung Cancer (Eligibility Criteria)
- Age 55-77 years
- Asymptomatic (no signs or symptoms of lung cancer)
- Tobacco smoking history of at least 30 pack-years (one pack-year=smoking
one pack per day for one year; 1 pack=20 cigarettes)
- Current smoker or one who has quit smoking within the last 15 years; and
- Receives a written order for low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) lung cancer screening
- Every 3 years (annually at age 40)
- Physician Skin Exam
- Men and women age 20 and older
For more information on cancer screenings and treatments, please call Thibodaux
Regional Cancer Center at (985) 493-4008.