Our Background

Over 85 Years of Providing Quality Healthcare in Lafourche and Surrounding Parishes

St. Joseph Hospital was a dream that became a reality in 1929 when Drs. J.L. Danos and Theo Beatrous decided that Thibodaux was in need of a sanitarium to care for the sick. A home on East Second Street was donated by Miss Fanny Knobloch for use as a hospital. However, the residential nature of the property caused conflict among the neighbors and that property was exchanged for property owned by the Catholic Church at 690 East First Street.

The estimated cost of the conversion of the building from a rectory to a hospital was $500, all of which was paid for by donations. Rev. Monsignor Alexandre M. Barbier, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church, was a key figure of the establishment of the hospital. The new 26-bed St. Joseph Hospital opened its doors to the sick of Lafourche and the surrounding parishes on January 19, 1930.

Growing into an Accredited Hospital

St. Joseph Hospital fulfilled a great need which was obvious by its quick need for growth and expansion. The hospital went through several expansions and even the building of a new facility at the same location to increase capacity. In 1967, after the hospital was first accredited by the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals, a plan for a public hospital evolved and Hospital Service District No. 3 was formed.

On April 14, 1975, St. Joseph Hospital closed its doors and the new 101-bed Thibodaux General Hospital opened on 602 North Acadia Road. Since its opening in 1975, Thibodaux General Hospital also has grown and prospered. Throughout the years, the hospital expanded not only in physical size, but also in the size of the medical staff and services offered to the people of Lafourche and the surrounding region.

Through the years, Thibodaux Regional continued to grow in anticipation and in response to the community’s needs. A major expansion and renovation project was launched in 2004 which included buildings, facilities and technology. The expansion further increased the medical center’s ability to provide high quality compassionate care.

Where We Are Today

Today, Thibodaux Regional Medical Center is a 180-bed regional medical center, offering highly specialized services such as specialized services offered include Heart Surgery, Medical and Radiation Oncology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Sports Medicine, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, General, Laparoscopic, and Bariatric Surgery, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Women’s Services including Obstetrics, Sleep Disorders, Behavioral Health, Inpatient and Outpatient Physical Rehabilitation, and Wellness Services.. The Medical Center has over 1200 employees and more than 250 physicians on its medical staff.

In November 2016, Thibodaux Regional opened the 242,000 square foot, state-of-the-art Wellness Center. The first of its kind in the region, the Center addresses wellness at every level, including prevention, education and rehabilitation, combined with medically directed services. Plans are underway for the Center’s Phase 2 expansion.