Over 85 Years of Providing Quality Healthcare in Lafourche and Surrounding Parishes
St. Joseph Hospital was a dream that became a reality in 1929 when Drs.
J.L. Danos and Theo Beatrous decided that Thibodaux was in need of a sanitarium
to care for the sick. A home on East Second Street was donated by Miss
Fanny Knobloch for use as a hospital. However, the residential nature
of the property caused conflict among the neighbors and that property
was exchanged for property owned by the Catholic Church at 690 East First Street.
The estimated cost of the conversion of the building from a rectory to
a hospital was $500, all of which was paid for by donations. Rev. Monsignor
Alexandre M. Barbier, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church, was a key
figure of the establishment of the hospital. The new 26-bed St. Joseph
Hospital opened its doors to the sick of Lafourche and the surrounding
parishes on January 19, 1930.
Growing into an Accredited Hospital
St. Joseph Hospital fulfilled a great need which was obvious by its quick
need for growth and expansion. The hospital went through several expansions
and even the building of a new facility at the same location to increase
capacity. In 1967, after the hospital was first accredited by the Joint
Commission for Accreditation of Hospitals, a plan for a public hospital
evolved and Hospital Service District No. 3 was formed.
On April 14, 1975, St. Joseph Hospital closed its doors and the new 101-bed
Thibodaux General Hospital opened on 602 North Acadia Road. Since its
opening in 1975, Thibodaux General Hospital also has grown and prospered.
Throughout the years, the hospital expanded not only in physical size,
but also in the size of the medical staff and services offered to the
people of Lafourche and the surrounding region.
Through the years, Thibodaux Regional continued to grow in anticipation
and in response to the community’s needs. A major expansion and
renovation project was launched in 2004 which included buildings, facilities
and technology. The expansion further increased the medical center’s
ability to provide high quality compassionate care.
Where We Are Today
Today, Thibodaux Regional Health System is a 180-bed regional medical
center, offering highly specialized services such as specialized services
offered include Heart Surgery, Medical and Radiation Oncology, Neurology,
Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Sports Medicine, Plastic and Reconstructive
Surgery, General, Laparoscopic, and Bariatric Surgery, Pulmonology, Rheumatology,
Women’s Services including Obstetrics, Sleep Disorders, Behavioral
Health, Inpatient and Outpatient Physical Rehabilitation, and Wellness
Services.. The Medical Center has over 1200 employees and more than 250
physicians on its medical staff.
In November 2016, Thibodaux Regional opened the 242,000 square foot, state-of-the-art
Wellness Center. The first of its kind in the region, the Center addresses
wellness at every level, including prevention, education and rehabilitation,
combined with medically directed services. Plans are underway for the
Center’s Phase 2 expansion.